From The Darkness Into The Light
|Today’s reading is drawn from Romans 14.
The Values and Conscience of a Leader
How are we to respond to others who hold values different from our own? That’s the issue of Romans 14. Paul speaks in this passage not of eternal issues or absolute truths, but about “gray areas”—subjects that are questionable and maybe even fuzzy. Christians can differ on these issues and still be part of the same organization. On these issues, no scripture declares an unequivocal right or wrong. Note Paul’s counsel for situations like this:
- Be open, not condescending (vv. 1–3).
- Remember that everyone answers to the Lord, not to you (v. 4).
- Cling to your own convictions (v. 5).
- Whatever your values, your motive should be to please God (vv. 6–9).
- You are ultimately accountable to the Lord (vv. 10–12).
- Do not cause anyone to stumble (v. 13).
View original post 71 more words